Just a bit ago, my beagle, Max was barking and I looked out to see a pretty squirrel up in the tree right outside the front door. I was overjoyed that Max was back to barking at squirrels! Now, most people aren’t happy when their dog barks but poor Mr. Max has been walking (as little as possible) on 3 legs for over a week, so I’m just glad he is feeling better. He is 10 years old and overweight and has arthritis and apparently I need to stop taking him with me on walks. Bummer for both of us, because he loves going on walks and I like the company. But, he just can’t resist going into 4 paw drive when he smells a squirrel or rabbit, lol.
The Someone Special stamp set has two-step images of a squirrel, mouse and raccoon as well as flowers and balloons and has a coordinating Special Day die set. It is on the Retiring list and will be hard to find after May 3. I purchased it to make some raccoon birthday cards as my son Corey used to love raccoons when he was a child. Whether he still does or not he has gotten some raccoon cards from his mom!
So the basic fun fold is pretty easy but I wanted to use the fun label die from the Fluttering Die set and my poor nonmathmatical brain had a hard time with getting it just right.
- Cut a card base 8 1/4″ x 4 1/4″ and score at 5 1/2″.
- Front panel layers Cardstock: 2 1/2″ x 4″ Designer Paper 2 1/4″ x 3 3/4″. Adhere to front flap with left edge fold.
- Inside folded flap base 6 1/2″ x 2 1/4″ Score at 3 1/4″
- Card stock matte layer for folded flap 3 1/8″ x 2″ Adhere to small flap with right edge fold.
- Two die cut labels from the Fluttering Die set or two pieces cut to 2 7/8″ x 1 7/8. Stamp and decorate as desired and adhere to the flap with the right edge fold.
- Attach the small flap to the inside back of the card base leaving about an inch from the three edges and folding over the the designer paper decorated flap.
For this card, I pulled out some of the designer paper from the Sale-a-bration which ended in March. I thought the daisies paired up perfectly with the squirrel! Of course, any designer paper which coordinates with the color of the base card stock would work.
The first time that I saw this neat fun fold was on a swap from my friend Laurie Zollmer who passed away from cancer several years ago. I recently received another swap from Terri Gaines using this same fun fold and it sparked my creative juices to make this card. It also brought back lots of good memories of fun times with Laurie at stamping events.